They offer creative ideas:
- extensive discount during the first days
- paying for additional marketing
- paying an agency for SEO -> ?
So what should you do to maximise product popularity on 3rd party sales channels such as marketplaces?
Investing on marketing actions to boost inventory on marketplaces
… is a non sense.
Marketplaces like Amazon and eBay spend literally millions to raise the visibility of their items on AdWords. You can see the benefits by googling one of your item name. Most likely you will find an Amazon result on the first page. If you are not yet selling this item, it might be sold by your competitors and might well be ranked higher than your website.
How to boost your performance?
Make sure to sell on all the sites which are present on the first page when you google a random item name from your inventory: Amazon, eBay and the likes.
Take a very special care about product data. Remember that product data is the key, especially when it comes to:
- Usage instructions
- Bullet points -> some platforms allow sellers to provide a few sentences displayed as bullet points above the description
The best marketing on marketplaces is about product data
In any case remember that the key attributes are
- Title, I recommend to follow the template: “Brand – Product Type – Product name / reference – Color – Size – Key features”
- Price, I recommend to price your item 10% below competition’s price + shipping
- Image, I recommend 4 to 8 pictures on a pure white background, is possible rotating around product
Title should leave no area for misunderstanding such as non-precise color or size. A good title example is “Adidas – Basketball men’s sneakers – Raptor – Black – 43 EU – Waterproof“. Price should be competitive. Images should render the product at every angle to ensure a perfect comprehension of the product by the target customer.
Is that it?
Well, that’s it for the mandatory attributes. Anything you provide additionally will help your store’s ranking: video, usage instructions, ingredient’s list, etc. are a very optimal addition.
Additional marketing can help to get visible
Many sales channels including marketplaces are offering additional marketing options such as:
- promotion at the top of certain categories
Those options are usually to pay and only addressed to experienced merchants who proved to deliver quality services for fea months.
I plan to update this article with a summary of the available options in 2016.
What kind of additional marketing worked for you on marketplaces?